Sunday, June 1, 2008

The realistic way of earning money

After all, we cannot be totally dependent with our allowances and bonuses (that our parents and relatives give us on a daily basis for allowance, and on special occasions for bonuses).

Just a few days after my birthday, the good old people of the Knights of Columbus in Philam homes just handed me down a check that is worth 2000 pesos. I wasn't really expecting the paycheck for my documentation of events happening within Philam Homes (courtesy of my father, who is a member of the said organization). But hey. The hard work has paid off. And I couldn't believe it. Photography can make you earn. It can be like some sort of part time job (even if I am just a sophomore student). It really feels good to earn what you have worked hard for. :)



Aside from the check the good old people gave me, they are also want to buy some of my photos as they will make an album out of it. It never gets this cool, especially that people get to appreciate your work and effort that is poured on.

This is reality, my dad would always say. Now I have come to realize it. No wonder why college life prepares you to the life of working in the big world beyond the four walls of the classroom.

Just want to talk about it: after the paycheck, me and my dad decided to go to Kamuning to go for a quick hunt for vintage stuff (if I say vintage I mean old pens hahaha). While going though a pileload of old pencils, I found this Parker jotter lying around. Well yeah . . . Parker Jotters are like the "Poor man's Parker" yet I decided to grab this particular Jotter because it is no ordinary Parker Jotter . . . it may not look like an actual Parker, or it may look very ordinary (as opposed to the Jotters of today), but this seemingly trashed-out Jotter happens to be one of the early versions of the well-renowned Parker ballpen. It did lack a refill and a spring but upon arrivng home, I immediatly cleaned it up (with the help of H2O, Green Cross, Safeguard, and Glo Metal polish) then I grabbed my spare ballpen spring (yes I go to Quiapo to find junk Parker pens and I would buy them for the parts, which I use sometime in the future) and a refill, and ta-dah! I got myself a working, vintage and rare(?) Parker Jotter that dates around 1955-1957 (that has to be the oldest Jotter I have actually seen). Pen collecting is fun, I promise, and nothing beats the adventure of treasure hunting. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me duey you really have a fancy for parker pens. :)

don't worry anak, when mommy's all rich(-er) (either because she becomes a really good, kickass lawyer or she learns to play good blackjack like in 21), ill buy you a lot. hahaha

oo pagkakitaan mo yan duey. like i told you, you're really good. ;)

_April