After a seemingly epic fail with my PoS51 exam a while ago (while attaining cheeseburger status with my SA21 exam), AND before doing my very best for the Fil14 finals (which will be tomorrow. . . and hence, the start of the most awaited semestral break every stressed college student is wishing for), I came to have this short reflection on how our government has once again committed another great injustice to the people.
And what great injustice am I talking about? It is the recent news on the freedom of the murdurer Claudio Teehankee Jr., the infamous personality behind the Hultman-chapman murder of the 1990s.
Just a short story about the said murder: Coming from a party, a teenage Maureen Hultman, with her companions Ronald Chapman and Jussi Leino are going home to DasmariƱas village when Teehankee stopped them and asked for their identification. Chapman showed his identification, and in cold blood, Teehankee shot Chapman at the chest, killing him instantly. Leino, on the other hand, was shot at the jaw but manage to survive, while Hultman, despite begging for mercy not to kill her, was shot at the forehead, dying two months later due to a complicated hemorrhage.
I know that with such circumstance, the infamous Teehankee did deserve the lifetime imprisonment for his brutal killing of innocent civilians in spite of these civilians asking for mercy for them. And that's when I (or probably you, or probably everyone else) would have thought of that justice has been served properly.
Yet, this case just proves the Thrasymachaean principle of justice being for the stronger and advantaged, as mentioned in Plato's The Republic. In simple terms, the Hultmans have been placed into a state of injustice as the infamous Teehankee was released from prison on a midnight, as the president has given executive clemency to him.
Now what's the injustice behind it? The mere fact that Teehankee took the lives of innocent people should have merit him death penalty (which was banned . . . $$@$!$@!#!~# I do not believe in a thing called human rights, and because of such principle, we are instead guided upon the wrong principles . . . and this is the reason why I like the philosophy of thomas Hobbes and his Leviathan . . . the single monster that people would fear . . . but would the people fear a midget like our President? I doubt.), the President (who is a certified moron for giving justice to the stronger) gave executive clemency to the murderer, who happens to be the son of a former chief justice. Now what's unfair there? Isn't it that the fact that he committed a unforgivable crime that he should have been given death penalty. BUT NO. Our stupid, idiotic president instead gives the same pardon to the famed murderer for "serving his term enough". Enough of your reasoning, because it is just plain bullshit.
Now with these famed murderers being given executive clemency by the President, will there be a fair perception of justice in this country? I do not think so. What is GMA doing is following the Thrasymachaean principle of justice on justice being for the stronger, giving unfair justice to the powerful so that she maintains her power as the president.
Don't you think that GMA is doing such so that she could gain support especially for the upcoming 2010 elections? Well that's what I'm thinking of right now. Maybe she'll give executive clemency to these famed brutal "animals" (yes not humans) so that she could get this certain kind of perception that she helps people (wherein in reality, she helps these people because of utang na loob and because of money?), and hence, giving her more power.
And at the same time, this case is very alarming and disturbing to the public. The more the president does such, then there will come a time wherein killing people without any cause be of something legal, thus reducing these human beings (being us Filipinos) into brutal animals who do things because of instinct, because trip ko lang kasi.
Putangina pare. Putangina talaga. Not because that I have a dirty mouth (which in reality I do . . . as I do curse a lot), but seriously, what the fuck is going on with Philippine politics and our sense of justice? Why are slowly falling for the Thrasymachaenan principle of the Justice as for the stronger (as seen with the recent release of the infamous Claudio Teehankee Jr.) No wonder politics is plain bullshit here. The government is not doing any good at all. Even affiliated units like the MMDA (under the tyranny of Bayani Fernando) sucks as well (ok so why the fuck would you mind over the property of Ateneo by closing our gates? You are a @$#@ idiot!). Seriously speaking, our politicians are deeply dilapidated and our government is slowly creating chaos to the state.
We should all do something to remedy it as soon as possible. Because when it is late, it might not be able to be remedied, hence placing our politicians and government to a "beyond repair" status, wherein it is impossible to fix.
Please lang. Wake up now guys. The government is creating injustice to every one of us. We should fix the problem immediately
*Study time for Filipino but I am sleepy. I'll sleep then study tomorrow instead :D* *Last exam na ito, let's give it the best!*
No comments:
Post a Comment