Saturday, August 30, 2008

Surprise

Yesterday:
Fresh from a make up class for SA (the first time I ever experienced having a 3-hour long class on a weeknight), my dad surprised me (again) as he bought a new laptop. Well it was sort of unexpected considering we were arguing for months on whether we should have my old laptop (my Thinkpad) or get a new one. Given the fact that 1) The keyboard's busted, 2) The hard drive has SOME bad sectors thanks to multiple reformatting, 3) A effin' small ram, 4) A busted battery, and 5) A damaged LCD, it took me some arguing with my dad that if we do have all of those things fixed (and upgraded), might as well get a new laptop. And I was right. For the amount that we could be probably pour on with my old laptop, it would cost approximately the price of a decent, brand new one. (A play of economics and simple logic? Haha :)) ). So right before Lenovo's promo ended, my dad all of the sudden purchased a Lenovo laptop (the cheap G410) for like around 30k. Not bad though, even if it didn't have an Operating System with it, which for me was much better (why? Well without any OS I get a chance of putting XP not Vista 'coz Vista isn't that efficient and is a bit unstable compared to the simpler XP). Specs wise . . . well should I say not bad for a 30k laptop (with adequate ram, large hard drive, and having a dvd writer, of which my MacBook only has the jurrasic combo drive :( :( ). It was a good buy and a good decision on my dad's part after all. Even if he spent a bit more, at least it is spent on a brand new unit not on some repair costs. 

And how about my old Thinkpad? Well I don't know but it's either 1) I sell it, or 2) use it for word processing and internet browsing.

And since my Dad usually buys stuff at Villman, he was given three 1gb flash drives (of which neither me or my dad would use it, 'coz we have one already). In connection with this, I'm selling them for 250 bucks. Interested then just tell me ;) 

Today:
Part one: NSTP session. Well it's the normal NSTP tutoring session except that this time I was sick yet I still forced myself to go to NSTP and teach for the love of the kids (and the consequence? I had to drink some medicine to alleviate my sickness). Miraculously, I still made it well thanks to the help of my partner Sam in teaching math to the kids.

And speaking of math, I'm beginning to wonder something through these questions:
-How come these kids from public schools managed to understand some algebra (with those variables), and yet have a hard time understanding basic stuff like integers, multiplying, and dividing? 
-How come they managed to reach high school (or even graduate high school and on their way to college) without understanding such basic concepts? 
-What are our teachers teaching these kids these days? 
-Much worse, what happened to the really good teachers? 
-Why are they going out of the country and teach there instead of teaching in the Philippines where teachers are more needed here than abroad?  
-What's happening to the quality of education in our country?

There are many questions that surround me every NSTP tutoring session goes on.

Part two: Kuwentong Bayan
First I got somehow annoyed by the fact that I had to pay a hundred bucks just for me to cover this event. Bummer, but it was somehow worth it after all. the talks from a General, A professor from UP, and Fr. Bernas were very interesting as they really pointed out the hidden realities within our country that our government fail to present to the public. Real data, accurate facts, and intricate details of the constitution were used well for the the talk that tackles the current situation of the Philippines. A good eye opener to the harsh reality of poverty, corruption, and dirty politics.

*Gotta do my Guidon work + Filipino long test + History orals + SA Political ads and Media Research ;)

AND to my Friends who are taking the Accounting long test on Monday . . . GOOD LUCK GUYS! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! ;) 

No comments: